Once you have made the decision to consult a plastic surgeon to make improvements to your appearance, it is important to set up an appointment to learn more about the doctor and the procedure you plan to undergo. When choosing a plastic surgeon, you need to consider a number of factors. Medical training and surgical experience are obviously key indicators of the surgeon’s qualifications and you may have already found that information about the doctor on-line. Facial plastic surgery such as facelifts and rhinoplasty (nose job) include work in delicate areas and require considerable surgical skill so it is important to choose wisely when considering facial surgery.
1) Are you board certified and what are your other qualifications?
2) What is your success rate and safety record?
3) What procedures do you specialize in? How many times have you performed this particular procedure?
4) Where will the procedure be performed? And is the facility accredited?
5) Ask for details about the procedure, how it will be performed and if there are alternatives that should be considered.
6) What are the risks, complications and recovery time for this procedure?
7) Will you need general anesthesia, local anesthesia? How do I prepare for the operation?
8) What should I expect after the procedure and how long will it take to see final results?
9) Can you provide referrals and before/after pictures?
10) What are the costs and payment terms?
If after talking with the physician, you are not comfortable with all the answers then you should continue with your search before moving forward. The more you know about what to expect from the procedure, how long it will take to heal and when you will see the final results, the more satisfied you will be with the outcome.