As part of the aging process, lips sometimes get thinner as the body produces less collagen. As the lips start to shrink and become less vibrant, vertical lines begin to appear, making a mature woman look even older than her actual age.
Full lips are sexy lips – admit it! They are a sign of youth and lips are one of the most noticeable features of the face, especially when we smile. So what can we do to maintain beautiful lips as we get older?
First… there are some make-up tips that can be helpful to make the lips appear fuller. Make-up artists recommend the following:
1) Gently scrub the lips with a soft brush or light abrasive pad or cleanser to remove dead skin.
2) Apply concealer to make the color stay on your lips and last longer.
3) Use a lip liner and draw an outline just outside your natural lips
4) Add your lipstick inside the lines drawn with the lip liner
5) Now add some lip gloss (with or without sparkle) to the center of your lips (top and bottom)
6) For more definition, you can try a white lip pencil or light concealer to the cupid’s bow in the center of the upper lip (make sure you blend it in) and then add your lipstick
7) And for the bottom lip, a little light brown eyeliner can be added below your lower lip line to give the illusion of a shadow.
If this seems to complex or time-consuming to complete each day before heading out into public, perhaps a longer lasting strategy is for you. The good news is that there are some wonderful products available to restore your lips to their former beauty –namely, dermal fillers.
Fillers are safe, non-invasive gels that can be injected into your lips to plump them up. There are many different types of fillers but Dr. Michael Jasin a Cosmetic Surgeon in Tampa of the Jasin Facial Rejuvenation Institute prefers Juvederm as the medium of choice for adding fullness. Juvederm is a smooth-consistency gel that works to restore the hyaluronic acid in your skin(hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring molecule that helps to bind and absorb water to create volume in the face). This product delivers the most consistent and natural results.
Make sure you choose a well-qualified cosmetic facial surgeon who has years of experience in working with dermal fillers. An experienced doctor knows how much to inject and where to place the injections for exactly the right look you desire. At first, the lips will be slightly swollen from the treatment but in 12 to 24 hours, most patients see the final results. Juvederm is not permanent but will last up to 6 months or longer before being absorbed back into the skin.